Well, I have now finished my Masters at the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland and I will be graduating at the start of July. But let me try and round-up a very successful year, however late, for prosperity's sake.
I took part in an exciting project with the Orchestra of Scottish Opera this year after successfully auditioning for a place on their Apprenticeship Scheme. Under the baton of Francesco Corti I played with the Orchestra of Scottish Opera at the City Halls, Glasgow, in a concert celebrating Verdi's anniversary performing La Forza del Destino overture and scenes from Simon Boccanegra with soloist from Scottish Opera.
- Strauss - Don Juan, Tchaikovsky - Romeo and Juliet Fantasy Overture, conducted by Christian Kluxen (Assistant Conductor).
- Adams - Doctor Atomic Symphony, conducted by Peter Oundjian (Music Director RSNO).
- Stravinsky, Petrushka, conducted by Thomas Søndergård (Principal Guest Conductor).
Playing with this professional orchestra under these world-class conductors was such an amazing experience and something I hope to do again soon - but no longer as an apprentice!
Other concerts I have played in this year with the Conservatoire Symphony Orchestra include:
- Stravinsky - Jeu de Cartes, Brahms - Symphony No. 3, conducted by Christopher Adey.
- Bax - Tintagel, Britten - Sinfonia da Requiem, Holst - The Planets Suite, conducted by Garry Walker.
- Nielsen - Helios overture, Prokofiev - Symphony No. 5, conducted by Christian Kluxen.
I finished this year with my Final Recital in the Stevenson Hall. I choose some challenging works and I was very pleased with the performance.
- Grovlez, Sicilienne Et Allegro Giocoso
- Villa-Lobos, Ciranda das Sete Notas
- Poulenc, Sonata for Clarinet and Bassoon
- Hurlstone, Sonata in F major for Bassoon and Piano
Thanks must go to Charlie Sheppard Vine (clarinet) and especially to Scott Mitchell (piano) for their hard work and tremendous musicality.